"Do everything in love." (1 Corinthians 16:14)


9.07.2008

Freud was a nutcase but I study his theories.

I am a psychology major, and I love it! I am hoping to go into counseling, either working with pro-life organizations or doing marriage and family counseling.
I am taking a class called Theories of Personality right now, and it is quite interesting. This week I had a discussion with my professor and classmates about our unconsious mind. The unconcious portion of the self is quite interesting, I find that though we give it little or no credit most of the time, it drives what we do. This is not to say we do not have access to this part of the mind, but actually it is what gives fuel to the things we do which we do not take the time to think about. Freud proposed the idea that all things are done intentionally--well, at least that nothing is done by accident. He believed that even accidents were the intentional actions of the unconcious working to get its point across. I highly disagree with this idea. We are not clever enough for things to be this complex, but rather, being the sinful beings we are, it is only natural that we commit "accidental actions" on somewhat of a daily basis.
Freud was crazy, my textbook says he died of cancer, but I found out through other sources that, while he did suffer from cancer, he in actuality committed suicide.
Here is a glimpse into a portion of my part of the discussion we had this week.

"It is fascinating to realize to what extent Freud attributed our personality to its unconscious dynamics. The majority of humans are vastly unaware of the effect our unconscious mind has on our being—what we think, do, believe, etc. I found it quite interesting reading the following from Jerry M. Burger (2008), “…if you are like most adults in this culture, you freely accept the idea that what you do is sometimes influence by an unconscious part of your mind.” (pg. 41) We overuse the phrase, “I must have done that unconsciously”, without thinking about what that sentence entails. I think we attribute our mistakes or unexplainable patterns of behavior to our unconscious being. My explanation for this is that perhaps it is a result of information we have stored away and have not used for some time. And, unlike Freud, I believe that mere accidents exist, without having hidden motives behind them. I do, however, believe that there are instances in which what we do is a direct result of our unconscious mind—just not everything is so.
I am aware of the fact that much of who I am is influenced by my unconscious mind. I look to my growing up years and experiences to understand who I am today. My family was ever-supportive, encouraging, yet not indulgent, and surrounded me with unconditional love that represented Christ. My entire personality and all that I do is a result of these experiences—my optimistic demeanor, hopeful attitude, moral decisions, and life priorities. This is how I recognize the unconscious influences in others’ behaviors as well. Although because it is difficult to be able to point out why others do what they do, I believe it is possible to do so when you are familiar with them beyond being mere acquaintances.

Word Count:_301_

References

Burger, J.M. (2008). Personality. 7th ed. Belmont, CA: Thomson Wadsworth."

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hmmmm...I like these thoughts a lot. When I think about the unconscious self, it is usually when I am questioning the process and peculiarities of dreams (night time, sleeping dreams). I have never really thought specifically about all the little ways we act and react to things and that being partially influenced by our unconscious self. I agree with you that there are simply mistakes... and yet so many times there may be a real thought or feeling behind something we blurt out but mis-speak, or something. But yes, I don't think EVERYTHING is so deeply-rooted.
One more thing was that I sort of find myself thinking that my unconscious self is sort of like another person that I don't really have control or know where it came from. But the "accidental" thoughts and feelings and actions that come from "her" are really my own, and though I am not necessarily conscious of why those traits and natural tendancies are there whilst I am actually speaking or whatever it is I am doing, they are, in fact, my own, comming from the very substance that I have fed it. And all the while, this is going on in our HEADS! the mind is a powerful, powerfull thing...
(well-written, by the way; it makes much more sense then my rambling thoughts do!, which I appreciate!)