"Do everything in love." (1 Corinthians 16:14)


9.24.2008

My outlook

I've been thinking again, and yes, I am aware of the fact that my thoughts usually get so complex that I can hardly organize them onto paper. And then I get a headache and need to dig myself out of my mind.
I feel as though work has been going far better than ever. I am truly embracing the idea of me using this as an opportunity to share Christ with my co-workers. Ashamedly, I cannot say as though I have done so yet. This is partly due to the fact that we are, well, forbidden to talk religion or politics at work. And they STRICTLY enforce this. I believe, however, that God is using other methods through my actions to show them how I am different. I hope that I am living as a good example, and am fairly confident that I am succeeding at times.
I could hardly believe how some of my co-workers treat our customers. I have always had the mindset that the customer is always right, no matter how "right" they may actually be. We are to smile, act friendly, and be accomodating even when we may not think they deserve this.
There are two ladies that come in about every other day to get drinks for some doctors and nurses that they work with at the hospital nearby. They provide us with a list of about ten to twelve drinks and names, and are always friendly. But every time they come in, my fellow employees get these horrible attitudes and are like, "don't put the drinks on a drink tray for them, make them do it themselves" and "don't write the names on the cups, it takes too long and they don't deserve it". Since I've been gone a lot, I figured they must have done something HORRIBLY offensive to earn this sort of treatment. So I asked why they are so disliked. My shift manager says, "well, they come in every day, and they have ALL these drinks, and they NEVER tip. It's so annoying." And she proceeds to make fun of them. And all of this is just because they don't TIP? I was thoroughly disgusted with my coworkers. So, since I was the designated drink maker, I defiantly put the names on the cups, put them on the tray, etc. And I kept smiling at them and making conversation, and just treating them very respectfully. Anyway, when they were about to leave, one of the ladies said to me, "We really appreciate you being so friendly and nice to us, it means so much to us." And she smile and went on her way.
I can tell you that I felt like I did the right thing. And this is only one instance like this that I have experiences in the past few days all because I chose to smile when no one else would.
What gives people the right to demand tips? Or even just things in general? We are owed nothing. We come into this world with nothing, we will leave with nothing. And most importantly, we deserve nothing.
So keep smiling, even when others cannot understand why you are doing so. It is so rewarding!

2 comments:

The BOOyah Team said...

Missy, you are so awesome! You show them by being friendly!!
BTW I tagged you for a meme. I hope you play along!

Andrea said...

I love this. and i agree whole heartedly, customers notice the difference.